My business partner and I are creating an internet based game and want to find some ideas for advertising. We thought about placing ads in gaming magazines and on other gaming websites. Any other ideas out there?
Some low cost ideas:
1. Create the best content you can. Your content is your best advertisement ? if visitors love your content, then they will go back and spread the word to others.
2. Make it easy for users to recommend your site. Viral marketing is very important ? and easy to tap on the Web. But give your users the tools. Get a Recommend this Site script from websites such as cgiscripts.com and similar directories of scripts. Some even go as far as giving incentives to those who recommend the site to their friends.
3. Rank well in the search engines (organic search results, not the pay per click). SEs can be a big source of traffic. The key is to create the best content in your niche. If you have good content, other websites will gladly link to you and offer your site as a resource to their audience. Check the on-page factors and be sure to get linked from authority sites in your topic area.
4. Send out press releases. While outfits charge as much as $650 per release, there are free press release submission places on the Web. Press releases allow you to (a) attract media attention; (b) get more back links to your website without sending each website an email request; and (c) get more visibility especially if your press release gets in Google News or Yahoo News.
5. Pay per click advertising. Check the keywords carefully and measure your ROI
6. Banner advertising. Less effective than contextual or text based advertising but the right website to advertise can draw in traffic. As always measure your ROI carefully