Traditional Shepherd?s pie, depending on whom you ask, is usually made with ground beef or lamb and contains a small amount of vegetables to meat and potatoes. Try this vegetarian version for a healthier meal with a tasty twist. It?s also a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes, especially if you?ve mashed in some celery root, parsnips, or cauliflower.
How To Make A Vegetarian Shepherd?s Pie (Recipe)
To really make this meal special, try assembling and baking the pies in individual ramekins. Serve with slices of toasted soda bread or with hearty multi grain.
- 4 Tbsp oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- ? lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped in ?-inch dice
- 3 medium carrots, quartered and diced
- 2 Tbsp sage, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup vegetarian broth
- Salt and pepper
- 4 medium, Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 head celery root, peeled and chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- ? cup butter
- ? cup heavy cream
- ? cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ? cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat. Saut? onions until translucent, about 2-3 minutes, add mushrooms and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Deglaze with white wine and simmer until wine is almost completely absorbed. Transfer to bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in pan and fry potatoes and carrots until just tender, about 10-12 minutes. Add sage and garlic and saut? for another minute or two then add broth. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Salt and pepper to taste and then combine with onions and mushrooms. Set aside.
- For topping, steam first three ingredients until easily smashed with a fork, about 15-20 minutes. Mix with butter and heavy cream until well mixed but still chunky. Fold in cheese.
- To assemble, layer filling in a 9x9 inch baking dish and top with mashed veggies. Top with grated Parmigiano cheese and bake for 20 minutes, or until sides are bubbly and heated through.
Shepherd?s Pie photo credit: SodanieChea via photopin cc